Beginnger Juice Cleanse
It is that time of year again. Summer is over and our sweet little bodies have paid the price of lots of porch sitting and sangria drinking evenings. What better way to get you ready for the fall than a delicious juice cleanse to reset the body and clean it out.
I love doing juice cleanses quarterly to help give my digestive tract a break, help get rid of residual toxins and emotionally clear out anything that needs to be released. Cleansing is both physical and emotional, so don’t be surprised if some emotional junk comes up.
I would encourage you to watch some inspirational documentaries like Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead or others (Suggestions here) to help paint the bigger picture of why you are participating in the cleanse.
I’m starting on Monday the 16th and will rock it the 5 days till Friday the 20th.
5 day prep, 5 day fast, 5 day reentry
5 Day Prep:
- Start weaning off processed junk foods, white flours, sugar/desserts, fried food, fast food, processed meats, alcohol and begin to wean yourself off caffeine.
- Start eating salads, soups, smoothies fruits, vegetables, grains, nuts, and beans.
- Start weaning off animal protein and eat only grass fed beef, organic chicken, organic eggs, wild-caught fish etc and by day 4 of the week transition off meat completely and solely eat plant based protein.
- Start weaning off dairy and transition to organic and sugar free dairy and eventually by day 4 you should be off dairy completely.
- Start adding in juice “snacks” throughout the day (6-8oz glass), or begin replacing one meal with a glass of juice.
- Hydrate, drink plenty of water and green tea.
5 Day Juice Fast:
- Make a menu ahead of time for what you would like to juice. There are many recipes out there.
- Plan to include lots of leafy greens including kale, spinach, collards, etc.
- Source as many ingredients locally as you can. They have more nutrients and will produce more juice. And you will definitely want to juice organic – don’t want to be drinking all those toxins.
- You should have 5 juices a day 3 “meals” and 2 “snacks”
- Ideally you should juice everyday (perhaps in the morning) – however, juice can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. *You can also freeze juice if making a huge batch works better for your schedule
- Keep the 80/20 rule. 80% vegetables, 20% fruits
- Drink lots of water!
5 Day Reentry:
- Continue to avoid processed junk foods, white flours, sugar/desserts, fried food, fast food, processed meats, alcohol, and caffeine for at least 3 more days, and ideally eating these items very sparingly through the long run.
- Begin adding solid fruits and vegetables to your diet and slowly increase your grains and proteins.
- If you wish to drink caffeine, start with green tea – then move to black tea – then eventually move to coffee.
- Eat smaller portions, more frequently as your body is getting used to solid food which helps to retrain your digestive system.
- Eat a rainbow everyday - Many of the health benefits of micronutrients are concentrated in the pigment of fruits and vegetables. Essentially the properties that give each fruit or veggie its rich color are the same elements that help protect our immune systems and keep our bodies strong. Each color family is rich in unique and important micronutrients.
This is just one method among many that you can choose. You can do a 1 day fast, a 10 day fast, a 30 day fast and upwards to 60 days. It’s important to find a method that is realistic for YOU and that will set you up for success. Will you join me? Simply comment below and tell me what method you will be practicing and any helpful tips you might have and we will begin this journey together!
- Find a friend to do it with you. Support is so helpful!
- Keep your juices cold – serve over ice and with a straw. Much tastier.
- It’s ok to eat some raw almonds and avocado – it’s helpful to get a little fat
- Don’t have time to make the juice, or don’t have a juicer? No problem. Find a local juice bar and ask if they offer cleanses and stock up. Don’t have one in town? This company called Pressed Juicery delivers anywhere!
- Pair your cleanse with some essential oils like Lemongrass or Lemon that are cleansing to the body emotionally and help detox the liver.
Juicing is a part of my life. I absolutely love it, and love the way it makes me feel. Plus, I highly recommend getting your hands on local produce for this as it really makes a difference with nutritional content. However, don’t let that stop you from doing it. Any organic veggies will do.
Will you join me?
Stay tuned for more recipes, tips and prep starting tomorrow.
If you’re in and plan to start Monday, leave a comment so I can keep you motivated.
Plus let’s share this process with others on social media hashtag #5dayjuicecleanse