National Farmers Market Week
I am excited to announce that this week is National Farmers Market Week. Every year America has the opportunity to focus on how abundant the benefits of local food are. Whether it be supporting local farms and your local economy, enjoying fresh food, or battling issues of obesity – these benefits are note worthy.
From Farmers Market Coalition: United States Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack proclaimed August 5-11, 2012 as National Farmers Market Week. Since 2000, the number of recorded farmers markets has grown approximately 170%, from 2,863 markets in 2000 to more than 7,800 in 2012. Vilsack says “farmers markets across the country offer consumers affordable, convenient, and healthful products sold directly from the farm in their freshest possible state, increasing consumer access to fresh fruits and vegetables and thus promoting child health and potentially reducing childhood obesity.”Ways to Celebrate:
- Visit your local Farmers Market and shop big!
- Bring a friend or family member along and help spread the experience
- Watch a Food Documentary like Food Inc to education yourself on why this is important
- Cook a local feast for your friends and family or host a local potluck
- Visit a local farm
- Talk to your kids about where their food comes from
How will you celebrate National Farmers Market Week?